Share | 

My Let's Play channel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:53 pm

As I've already mentioned, I've decided to try my hand at doing Let's Plays on Youtube. The introduction to my channel and the first video are both below, so please check them out and let me know what you think. Any advice is welcome.

Forgot to say in this one: I don't have a schedule for when I'm going to upload new videos, and I don't really want to have one - if I set one and then don't stick to it, I'll look like a twat. If I don't set one, I can't miss deadlines because they won't exist.

Last edited by Mink on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MinkaroXIV
Giggity Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Dat voice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmVNcqWmf-E73tdf3cUCVg Online
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:08 pm

I finally heard your voice! You sound like Wade Barrett! good job

Favorite Current Wrestlers:
1. Seth Rollins
2. AJ Styles
3. Kevin Owens
4. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. John Cena

Favorite All-Time Wrestlers:
1. The Undertaker
2. CM Punk
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Triple H
5. Stone Cold Steve Austin
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm

You seem a bit unsure of yourself. You gotta sound more confident.

Other than that you're ok good job
Back to top Go down
Giggity Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:15 pm

I've always wanted to do Let's Play videos, but I have no clue how to do them.
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:18 pm

^^ I'm not used to talking in this sort of environment, so hopefully the more I do, the more confident I'll be. I did notice a few places where I wasn't very clear as well.

^ I use Bandicam to record the gameplay, as well as the narration. I would use something to edit the videos, but I don't know what's good. I do know that Windows Movie Maker is very not good. It is the opposite.
Back to top Go down
Giggity Gopher
Love Bites
Love Bites

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 pm

That appears to cost money. Well, I know the VisualBoy Advance has a recording function. I could just do GB/GBA games (probably mostly Pokemon).
Back to top Go down
TJ Ω
#TeamRomie

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:39 pm

I keep hearing about programs called Fraps, XSplit, etc.

Sony Vegas is probably the best video editing software out there.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm

^ I used to have that, but it was erased. and now it's impossible to get Sad

1. Seth Rollins
2. AJ Styles
3. Kevin Owens
4. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. John Cena

1. The Undertaker
2. CM Punk
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Triple H
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Minky does Let's Play videos.

I do Let's Play videos.

We should do a Let's Play video together.

(For recording software, Camtasia Studio 7 is great. It's not free but can easily be torrented. I don't know about the latest version. I refuse to update it as well. But it comes with editing stuff such as hiding the mouse, changing the audio volume, etc..)
Back to top Go down
Tiff
Alliance
Alliance

Location : Troposphere | Rest in Peace My Beautiful Cousin Tiffany. <3 B xoxo

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 am

Finally got to hear what you sound like! Honestly, I think I love your voice Big Grin! I don't know why you said you hated the sound of it recorded. You sounded American at times too. I get what you mean about playing games and not being into it. You'll definitely get more comfortable. Nice vids.

And yeah, Windows Movie Maker sucks now. I'd go for Sony Vegas.

I subbed btw
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 am

For editing stuff use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum. I got a copy off Amazon for like £25 a couple of years ago, so it might be cheaper now. It's WAY better than Movie Maker. That's just basic crap that comes with Windows.

Also, if you uploaded videos purely about eating Pizza, I'd watch shifty
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 am

Version 11 is on Amazon for just over £17, so I think I'll go for that.

Due to arrive between the 2nd and 6th of November. I'll wait for that to come before I do part 2 of 65m + 1 bc, because there's a nasty bit coming up that I'll probably fail a lot, and have to cut at least some of those fails out.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 am

That's the version I have. Once you get your head around the options available, it's really good.
Back to top Go down
Ky
Show Opener

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am

You sound posher than me Minky Funny
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 pm

I know, I know, it's taken me two weeks to get the second part of this up. Frankly, I disgust myself. I do have a good enough knowledge now of Sony Vegas that hopefully I can start doing these more often.

Now, plans for the future: There's two more components for me to get for the machine. However, we're rapidly approaching the point where I'm going to know nothing about the game. On my first playthrough, I got the two components, then stopped whilst I was in a cave. It's therefore likely that I'll make a lot more mistakes going forward, which means that my third and fourth videos will be longer. These first two are already over twenty-five minutes long, and that's pushing it as far as I'm concerned. Problem is: I like the idea of collecting one component per video, and stopping as I reach the raptor camp. So whether I find somewhere else to stop, or I just upload longer videos, I don't know.

The next game that I play is still planned to be The Walking Dead, followed by the 400 days DLC. This should lead me nicely into Season Two, which I believe is out this month. It'll probably be March by the time I've actually recorded and uploaded the first game, mind you. I also want to have a go at playing The Wolf Among Us, another Telltale Games...game.

Couple of questions for you all:

1) How offended will you be if I try a game out, and don't manage to finish it? I'm not the greatest gamer in the world...or in my house...and there's a good chance that I might ragequit some games. I'll try my best not to, but how would you react if I stopped playing a game because I absolutely could not get past a certain part after a metric fuckload of attempts?

2) I'd like to start playing a few online games as part of this channel. By which I mean online flash games such as Fancy Pants Adventure (for example, may not actually play it) that are quite short, and I could maybe upload the entire thing in one video. Happy Wheels is a good example, although I'd like to avoid that because everyone plays it (unless somebody really wants me to). Any suggestions?

3) I spend a lot of time on Sporcle, just to waste time. Would anyone be interested in me recording my time on there? Not all of it, obviously, you don't want to watch me picking a game to play. I played a few games whilst commentating to myself, and I think I'd be able to find enough to say, it's just I worry that it might be a bit boring.

And of course, any comments on the video up there are welcome.
Back to top Go down
MooseNugget
TeamMoose
TeamMoose

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 am

It would suck to see you quit a story driven game like The Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead. But something like what you're playing now wouldn't really bother me that much.

WTF Its StraightEdge

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:26 am

Can't say I'd be offended, though I do know that your videos are the most interesting when you aren't reading off the dialogue alongside the game.  Some of it's funny (the way you change your voice can be very amusing) but I think the most entertaining parts of your videos are when you're just commentating on the game, and on the occasional slip ups/deaths.  Just my opinion though, don't know where everyone else stands on that thought.
Back to top Go down
Chilly
TeamSexy
TeamSexy

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:43 am

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if you suddenly stopped playing a game. You can't force yourself forwards if it's annoying you or not pleasing you for whatever reason.

The only thing I would change, personally, is how long each video is. I know you said you wanted to complete certain parts in each video, but I think 25 or so minutes for each one is rather excessive. I'd rather you chizzle them down to 15 mins max per each one, as I would feel people could be more invested when they watch, not having to sit down and commit to something so long. You could still record the whole session in advance, but just time it and break the session into several episodes. Maybe that's just me though.

Also, if you need more graphics making, just say. I can do them I'm just slow right at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 am

@Moose, I've beaten Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us before, and they're not exactly challenging games. I was thinking more games like Unfair Mario, where they're super challenging.

@Ruro, I know that LP'ers reading the text is something that a lot of people don't like, having looked around various forums. My reason for doing it is I want to try and make sure that I've given people enough time to read it, so by reading it out loud myself I have an idea of when to skip to the next bit of dialogue.

@Chilly, I think the shorter time is something that I'm going to have to think about for upcoming videos. One good thing about 65m + 1 BC is that I play it in a smaller window, so I can see how long it's taken me to record. It might have to start being after I've done a certain challenge that I stop the episode.

I could actually try just recording a load of it at once, and leaving out the "hi guys...bye guys" stuff, and maybe recording that later, and adding it in at appropriate points.
Back to top Go down
Myke
Main Eventer

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:52 am

Okay but what about a co-op with me >_> <_<>_> <_<

(ANYWAY)

To answer your questions:

It's your channel. You're going to do what you want to do. Do you simply want to listen to only yourself or do you want to listen to your subscribers? I do both. There are games I want to play that no one has recommended me. And at the same time, I have a list of games saved that my subscribers said they want to see me play. I'll occasionally open it up and go "I'll give this game a try."

So long as you explain yourself as to why you're quitting a game, people shouldn't really be too mad. I had to stop playing Pokemon Reborn for about two months because the game was so damn infuriating. I indicated that to my subs and they were fine with it. I've resumed it as of late, but that was out of boredom. It managed not to piss me off (for a little bit) but once it does again, I'll probably stop.

Do online games if you want. A tip for that is try to link it on that site. It'll give you some views and if it's good enough, people will subscribe.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:11 am

1. I would not be offended. I could understand where you are coming from.

2. Do it. Sounds like it'd be fun.

3. IDK what Spade is, but if it's like Runescape, go for it lol.

1. Seth Rollins
2. AJ Styles
3. Kevin Owens
4. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. John Cena

1. The Undertaker
2. CM Punk
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Triple H
Back to top Go down
Tiff
Alliance
Alliance

Location : Troposphere | Rest in Peace My Beautiful Cousin Tiffany. <3 B xoxo

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 pm

The Walking Dead Game Love I can't wait for the Second Season. I have 400 days downloaded to my Xbox.

1) How offended will you be if I try a game out, and don't manage to finish it? I'm not the greatest gamer in the world...or in my house...and there's a good chance that I might ragequit some games. I'll try my best not to, but how would you react if I stopped playing a game because I absolutely could not get past a certain part after a metric fuckload of attempts?

1) I wouldn't be offended. Though I would love to see you play Unfair Mario Wink wink! 

2) I'd like to start playing a few online games as part of this channel. By which I mean online flash games such as Fancy Pants Adventure (for example, may not actually play it) that are quite short, and I could maybe upload the entire thing in one video. Happy Wheels is a good example, although I'd like to avoid that because everyone plays it (unless somebody really wants me to). Any suggestions?

I wouldn't mind if you played Happy Wheels. I reckon your commentary would be hilarious.

3) I spend a lot of time on Sporcle, just to waste time. Would anyone be interested in me recording my time on there? Not all of it, obviously, you don't want to watch me picking a game to play. I played a few games whilst commentating to myself, and I think I'd be able to find enough to say, it's just I worry that it might be a bit boring.

If you want. Wouldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Minkaro
Learn Maturity
Learn Maturity

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 am

I have problems Sad.

My monitor has started flickering with red dots all over the place. You can't see them on a white background, but every other colour they'll show up. I don't want to record if there's going to be all sorts of red flickers on the screen, so I'm going to try to find out what's causing it and how to fix it, but it may mean a delay before the next video is up.
Back to top Go down
Batman
I am Batman
I am Batman

PostSubject: Re: My Let's Play channel   Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Mad as hell

*throws a tomato*

*misses*

1. Seth Rollins
2. AJ Styles